I took Emily to the pediatrician today because she is still requiring Motrin around the clock to control her fever, and I am doing dozens of breathing treatments as well. She just doesn't seem to be getting better. Now we know why! She has an "nasty"ear infection in the right ear, more than likely one in the left ear but the doctor couldn't tell from all the mucous, a sinus infection, and "asthma exacerbation." So we left with prescriptions for an oral steroid, antibiotics, and ear drops, and the doctor wants us to return in 48 hours for a follow up. She said it is possible she may have pneumonia, but it's difficult to tell over her noisy asthma wheezing. Forunately, the medications she's been put on are the exact same ones she would be receiving if she also has pneumonia.
I asked if she may have swine flu, and the doctor said this season, pretty much anyone with a cough and fever likely has swine flu. She didn't see a need to test her for it since it's past the 48 hour window of being able to use Tamiflu. I asked why this wasn't checked in the ER then, and she said Emily wasn't presenting the symptoms of the flu. However, Tamiflu apparently was ordered for her, and we're not sure whether they changed their minds or just forgot, because I knew nothing about it and I know she never got it. The doctor said if she does/did have swine flu, she's handling it very well because she has a controllable fever, no diarrhea or vomiting, and no respitory distress. She also said that Tamiflu in children has a side effect of neuropsychosis (hallucinations) and after seeing children "losing their minds" in the hospital, she's actually glad that Emily didn't receive it. I have to agree!
I don't know whether Emily did or did not have swine flu, but I am going to get her the second vaccination any way. She had her first swine flu vaccination on October 16th, and children under 10 require a second dose 30 days later to be fully protected.
Thank for all the well wishes and concern from everyone! Now that she has some medications other than Motrin and Mucinex, she should start feeling better quickly! :)
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Update on Emily
Posted by
Becca
at
1:58 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment